Nov 21st 8:30pm– 10:30pm @ New Westminster, River Market Circus Jam
is a FREE event that blends creative and social circus games with an open-mic style performance. Designed to include newcomers and to challenge those with more experience, we hope you’ll leave feeling that you stretched your mind and your body! After a warm-up and introduction, the evening will begin with creative circus games
. These games will help you think about how to take the skills that you already know and start turning them into a routine or performance. Games Apparatus Add-on:
You’ve all played this, but now we’re getting a group together! Work with other circus friends to link skills and build the longest routine you can! Gift Bags:
In groups of 2-3 we’ll have you reach into a magic bag and draw 3 random skills. Your goal is to turn those skills into a routine, which you’ll perform for the others! Circus Roulette
: We’ll roll a 10 sided dice (yes, we have those!) to pick a random song for the night, and individually you’ll create a performance from a 60 second snippet of that song! You can use your Gift Bags routine or start fresh with an entirely new routine, but your goal is to inject some life and performance into whatever you come up with! In the latter part of the evening, the “open-mic” will begin. Anyone with a few skills they can link, a draft idea of a performance, an act that just needs a little tweaking or even a complete scene will have the opportunity to perform in front of a friendly audience of fellow circus students. Observers are welcome so you need not have something prepared to partake in this portion of the event. Please familiarize yourself with the VCS Code of Conduct
and event rules
. VCS Code of Conduct
for Circus Jam
- No watches, zippers, or metal of any kind
- No shoes on the mats, unless you have a medical condition that would require insoles. (Shoes must stay at VCS and not to be used outside) This includes all rigging and equipment personnel
- Clean up after yourselves
- No food or drinks allowed on the gym floor (water in sealed containers is allowed)
- Always perform a visual inspection of the equipment, its set-up, and its immediate surroundings before using it. Inform the head rigger of any safety concerns. If in doubt about the safety of a piece of equipment — don’t use it.
- If you move a piece of equipment from its home location, please return it after use.
- Children and teens are welcome to participate in our programs regardless of gender, race, culture, ability, religious beliefs, sexual orientation or economic circumstances.
- VCS curriculum is property of VCS and cannot be shared with anyone
- Make every effort to better yourself as a person
- Discrimination and harassment will not be tolerated
This event is free! If you would like to perform in the open-mic, you can sign up using the form below to help ensure appropriate time is set aside. Open-mic performances are also welcome to sign-up on the night of the event if the mood strikes! We’ll open at 8:00pm for sign-in, and the event starts at 8:30pm. We expect to go until 10:30pm.